July Meeting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

July Meeting

Post  Tara Voelker on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 am

Here are the transcripts for the July Meeting. The meetings took place at 10 AM and 7PM Eastern Time.

The meeting schedule covered:

1. The website redesign and feedback
2. White paper update and feedback
3. Introduction of Success Cases
4. Member news.

Tara Voelker
Admin

Posts : 30
Join date : 2011-01-19

View user profile http://gameaccesssig.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Morning Transcript

Post  Tara Voelker on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:21 am

[10:16:02 AM] *** Tara Voelker added Dan Fischbach, Chad M Hoover, Sandra ***
[10:16:07 AM] Tara Voelker: Hello!
[10:16:13 AM] Tara Voelker: Welcome to the GA SIG meeting!
[10:16:24 AM] Sandra: Hello
[10:16:29 AM] Tara Voelker: we're running a little late, but there don't seem to be many people here this morning
[10:16:37 AM] Max Voelker: Hello!
[10:16:49 AM] Dan Fischbach: Wha!
[10:16:55 AM] Chad M Hoover: Morning
[10:17:20 AM] Dan Fischbach: Uh...didn't know I was invited to this...been awhile since the last Skype conversation...April...right?
[10:18:16 AM] Tara Voelker: I saw you were online and thought you'd be interested. And yeah, haven't had one since april, but I thought you'd like to attend
[10:18:44 AM] Dan Fischbach: Sure, but I have an important phone call around 11 AM...I could be teaching for DeVry Online...would be nice to finally have some income
[10:18:46 AM] Sandra: Hello @all
[10:18:56 AM] Dan Fischbach: Hi Sandra
[10:19:12 AM] Tara Voelker: Oh! How exciting! Well we wish you all luck!
[10:20:11 AM] Dan Fischbach: Thank you! It's for a level-building course...granted, I don't have a huge amount of experience with tools due to the crappy UI of most level editors, but I have the knowledge of what makes a good level...hopefully that'll make me stand out....
[10:20:38 AM] Chad M Hoover: im working on campus in the user experience lab but I will do my best to pay attention
[10:21:15 AM] Tara Voelker: oh its fine. Smile
[10:21:22 AM] Dan Fischbach: Speaking of UI and level building and accessability, does anyone know how to change the colors of the builder burshes in UE3/UDK? the colors don't contrast well
[10:21:39 AM] Tara Voelker: That I don't know. Would have to look up. May be something to email out about.
[10:22:22 AM] Dan Fischbach: I wish all level editors were like Minecraft
[10:22:40 AM] Tara Voelker: Alright, so for todays meeting we have a couple things to go over.
[10:24:07 AM] Tara Voelker: hold on
[10:24:15 AM] Dan Fischbach: getting files?
[10:24:21 AM] *** Tara Voelker added Lyle Hutson, Roderick Kemp ***
[10:24:29 AM] Dan Fischbach: Hello!
[10:24:46 AM] Tara Voelker: These are some guys I work with, and I'm going to make them listen to accessibility!
[10:24:47 AM] Tara Voelker: lol
[10:24:59 AM] Tara Voelker: anyway, so in todays meeting we need to cover the following:
[10:25:01 AM] Tara Voelker: 1. Website redesign feed back
2. White Paper Update
3. Success Cases
4. Additional News from members
[10:25:45 AM] Tara Voelker: Alright, so I have been working on redesigning our website
[10:25:49 AM] Dan Fischbach: http://igda-gasig.org/, right?
[10:25:55 AM] Tara Voelker: yezs
[10:25:56 AM] Tara Voelker: yes*
[10:26:04 AM] Dan Fischbach: i really like the new logo
[10:26:07 AM] Tara Voelker: It's been more about rearranging the information on there to make it more usefule
[10:26:11 AM] Tara Voelker: also the new logo Smile
[10:26:35 AM] Tara Voelker: so I have an example of how I would like to rearrange the information, and I was hoping to get some feed back
[10:26:39 AM] Tara Voelker: like yay- or nay
[10:26:44 AM] Sandra: thanks for the work!
[10:27:06 AM] Sandra: Maybe we can take some time to write feedback?
[10:27:22 AM] Tara Voelker: that's fine. and this is just a short example, not like an entire page
[10:27:28 AM] *** Tara Voelker sent Game Accessibility for the Visually impaired.doc,... *** (To view this doc, please email Tara at ttefertiller@igda-gasig.org)
[10:27:34 AM] Tara Voelker: Feel free to grab that.
[10:28:59 AM] Tara Voelker: this isn't formatted nicely, and doesn't have like headers and bullet points and such
[10:29:08 AM] Tara Voelker: but that has the general layout of how i would arrange things
[10:29:36 AM] Tara Voelker: like have a page that is directed at visual disabilities, a page directed at cognitive, physical, and so on
[10:30:03 AM] Tara Voelker: right now that information is spread out, but the feed back i am getting says it may be more useful to have a page per disability, rather than info for all of them clumped today
[10:30:08 AM] Tara Voelker: together*
[10:30:36 AM] Sandra: I like it separate, with some notes where something fits more, eg. game difficulty
[10:30:49 AM] Tara Voelker: This feed back comes from around my studio, our design in particular, and teachers I have talked to, mainly at Full Sail
[10:31:13 AM] Dan Fischbach: Tara: as a quick note, I must be an outlier since I don't use any magnifiers at all...I find they get in the way...but the limited field of vision is so true...I do however, agree that it should be separated by disability
[10:31:27 AM] Lyle Hutson: Morning gang
[10:31:33 AM] Dan Fischbach: Hi Lyle!
[10:32:40 AM] Lyle Hutson: So, what's Tara talked y'all into ? Smile
[10:32:47 AM] Lyle Hutson: btw, I can't talk on here much
[10:33:34 AM] Sandra: (someone at the GDC europe, gamescom?)
[10:34:03 AM] Max Voelker: looking at this doc, i'd like to see it broken down further into subsections so that it's presented as disability description - how that disability affects gaming - things you can do. using this example, it would be something like:
[10:35:50 AM | Edited 10:36:36 AM] Max Voelker: Blindness
[Description of disability]
[Areas of gameplay affected]
[tips for developers accommodating blind people]

Low Vision
[Description]
[Areas of Gameplay Affected]
[tips]
[10:35:51 AM] Max Voelker: etc
[10:36:28 AM] Tara Voelker: what would you recommend doing for things that fall into both categories? list them twice?
[10:36:36 AM] Sandra: What about [benefits (for all) ]
[10:36:46 AM] Max Voelker: yeah, list them twice
[10:37:02 AM] Tara Voelker: @ sandra: i figured that we need to remake our top 10 anyway, and have an updated version of that
[10:37:10 AM] Tara Voelker: or possible just have a general accessibility page
[10:37:22 AM] Dan Fischbach: and a text version for people with screen readers, maybe?
[10:37:52 AM] Tara Voelker: has any one tried using a screen reader with our website? btw?
[10:38:03 AM] Tara Voelker: i havent, not sure how well it hold up
[10:38:20 AM] Dan Fischbach: no, but I believe you can go to websites that will show you what the website will look like with a screen reader
[10:38:25 AM] Tara Voelker: but yes, we can make a text version and keep it up there, possibly a pdf so it can also be downloaded
[10:38:35 AM] Tara Voelker: going to have to do that with ours.
[10:39:02 AM] Dan Fischbach: you could always add it in the alt/title text on the website
[10:39:42 AM] Sandra: FYI: the "accessible child theme for wordpress" is not really accessible, but the good news is that they (wordpress) might start a accessibility group
[10:39:51 AM] Tara Voelker: oh, that is awesome.
[10:39:54 AM] Dan Fischbach: Smile
[10:40:01 AM] Tara Voelker: Alright, to keep the meeting moving-
[10:40:38 AM] Dan Fischbach: next would be a White Paper Update...?
[10:42:02 AM] Tara Voelker: So, I was also wondering- should we apply this same format that we are having for the website to the white paper
[10:42:34 AM] Tara Voelker: We had been talking about updating the white paper, and I had been adding in more recent data and numbers, and adding in more recent game titles, deleting links to things that dont work, etc
[10:42:38 AM] Tara Voelker: but should we also rearrange it
[10:43:03 AM] Dan Fischbach: so you would arrange it by disability type? seems logical
[10:43:27 AM] Sandra: I would first collect feedback: what is useful, what is not useful, what is missing;
[10:43:34 AM] Sandra: then make a new structure
[10:43:55 AM] Tara Voelker: that's a really good idea too
[10:44:12 AM] Tara Voelker: has everyone seen the old white paper?
[10:44:16 AM] Dan Fischbach: no
[10:44:37 AM] Tara Voelker: okay, well i feel like the first step would be for everyone to see that.
[10:44:56 AM] Tara Voelker: I will send out a link to the old white paper to the email list, and have everyone look at that
[10:45:01 AM] Tara Voelker: and then give feedback
[10:45:13 AM] Sandra: Maybe we should make a list:
* feedback for the old white paper
* feedback for the website
[10:45:34 AM] Dan Fischbach: where would this feedback go? just be put into the mailing list, or into a Google Doc?
[10:45:43 AM] Dan Fischbach: Maybe a Google Doc Form would be nice
[10:45:58 AM] Tara Voelker: we could do either. I know some people really don't like goodle docs
[10:46:12 AM] Tara Voelker: actually- we could post all the feedback on the forums
[10:46:19 AM] Dan Fischbach: this would be an online form they fill out though...people aren't going to be editing things all at once
[10:46:32 AM] Dan Fischbach: then, the data goes into a table that only certain people can see/access
[10:46:35 AM] Tara Voelker: i could post the link in there, people could write comments below
[10:47:18 AM] Dan Fischbach: we would need to consider focus questions if we want to get results
[10:47:37 AM] Dan Fischbach: eg, rate the effectiveness of topics the topics chosen from 1-5
[10:47:45 AM] Dan Fischbach: -topics
[10:47:48 AM] Tara Voelker: that's true. that's really good.
[10:48:08 AM] Dan Fischbach: that could be put on the form as radio buttons
[10:48:25 AM] Tara Voelker: I would also like to get some feed back on people new to accessibility- new to the information. so we can see how easy it is for them to understand
[10:48:33 AM] Tara Voelker: so- people like Lyle or Rod Smile
[10:48:33 AM] Dan Fischbach: true
[10:49:04 AM] Sandra: We should have some new members?
[10:49:25 AM] Sandra: I hope ... there were some interested, but I do not know if they joined the SIG
[10:50:34 AM] Lyle Hutson: Give me a while on that..I'm doing like 30 things here
[10:51:29 AM] Tara Voelker: oh, we aren't even ready for that feed back.We don't even have the feedback form/ questionaire set up.
[10:51:37 AM] Tara Voelker: Just know that I expect you to fill it out, lol
[10:52:46 AM] Tara Voelker: Okay, so moving on
[10:52:57 AM] Tara Voelker: The next item on the list was "Success Cases"
[10:53:24 AM] Tara Voelker: so basically, sometimes accessibility can be hard. You fight for something good, and you don't always get it.
[10:53:30 AM] Tara Voelker: And that can be a real bummer.
[10:54:03 AM] Tara Voelker: I know that I personally keep track of "good things" that I do, or people say about accessibility, so I can see the work that I'm doing, or the SIG is doing, makes a difference
[10:54:06 AM] Tara Voelker: like a pick me up
[10:54:08 AM] Tara Voelker: to keep me going
[10:54:27 AM] Tara Voelker: are other people in the sig ever getting down in the same way?
[10:54:46 AM] Tara Voelker: and would it be beneficial to have a personal success story appear like once every 2 weeks?
[10:54:50 AM] Sandra: Well, I personally thinkt that we need to be patient
[10:55:04 AM] Sandra: Look at the national actions plans for the new UN Convention = long long way
[10:55:11 AM] Tara Voelker: like, it would go out to the email thread and then be archived on the forums
[10:55:38 AM] Sandra: Do you mean it will become public?
[10:55:38 AM] Tara Voelker: I know. I'm saying that sometimes its hard to be patient, and seeing people get work done can keep people going.
[10:55:55 AM] Tara Voelker: yeah, like say I worked on a game, and we got remappable controls put in
[10:56:06 AM] Tara Voelker: and that I was excited because I had pushed for them.
[10:56:16 AM] Tara Voelker: That could be that week or months "Success Case"
[10:56:36 AM] Tara Voelker: it would be emailed out and then it would be kept on the forums for later viewing
[10:56:46 AM] Tara Voelker: and people could jsut see progress we are doing.
[10:58:05 AM] Tara Voelker: Like I said, I know sometimes I feel like my accessibility work isn't going anywhere. But I know that isn't true. sometimes I just need to be reminded that people do care, and the work is helping the industry.
[10:58:48 AM | Edited 11:00:36 AM] Max Voelker: i think it's a good idea, and i could see this happening a few ways
[10:58:55 AM] Max Voelker: depending on how comfortable people are putting it out there
[10:59:25 AM] Max Voelker: i would say definitely start a forum thread where people can share their success stories
[10:59:46 AM] Max Voelker: and once a month choose a featured story to put on the front page of the site
[10:59:52 AM] Max Voelker: just rotate them every month
[11:00:04 AM] Dan Fischbach: Tara: is the forum currently linked with the website in any way?
[11:00:07 AM] Max Voelker: with a link to the whole thread at the end of the story
[11:00:35 AM] Tara Voelker: right now there is a link to the forum on the website, but they are completely seperate.
[11:00:47 AM] Dan Fischbach: OK, as long as a link is on there somewhere
[11:01:07 AM] Tara Voelker: There is also a link from the website to the meeting transcripts, which are also posted on the forums
[11:02:26 AM] Tara Voelker: @Max- the problem with having people post in the forums is people don't post in the forums Smile
[11:02:44 AM] Dan Fischbach: I will have to go...so I'm going quiet...thanks Tara!
[11:02:52 AM] Tara Voelker: Good luck!
[11:03:01 AM] Tara Voelker: You made it through almost the whole meeting!
[11:03:06 AM] Dan Fischbach: Thanks! Please keep in touch! We need to speak more!
[11:03:12 AM] Tara Voelker: of course Smile
[11:03:23 AM] *** Tara Voelker removed Dan Fischbach from this conversation. ***
[11:03:48 AM] Tara Voelker: So, will have to decide to to collect the success cases....
[11:04:02 AM] Tara Voelker: Alright, I think after that it's just any news any one would like to share?
[11:04:11 AM] Tara Voelker: Any new topics or concerns?
[11:05:36 AM] Tara Voelker: any thing?
[11:05:39 AM] Tara Voelker: Nope?
[11:05:46 AM] Sandra: No only bad stuff ..
[11:05:59 AM] Tara Voelker: Sad Well, that's not good.
[11:06:22 AM] Sandra: last gamescom the G.A.M.E. said they will ask their members about Game Accessibility
[11:06:28 AM] Sandra: then they had a change in the leading
[11:06:36 AM] Sandra: know they do only politics stuff
[11:06:59 AM] Sandra: I told them that the UN Convention stuff is very poltical, but they are not interested at all
[11:07:25 AM] Sandra: = result can be that games will have much more problems to get funds in germany, than films
[11:07:27 AM] Sandra: that is bad
[11:07:29 AM] Sandra: Imagine this:
[11:07:50 AM] Sandra: project A: film for enterteinmanet with subtitles
project B: a serious games with subtitles
[11:08:01 AM] Sandra: Project A will win and get the funds
[11:11:11 AM] Sandra: I told them that they have to write a statement that games are culture stuff and that the UN convention wants to have all culture stuff accessible, so games needs funds, too
[11:14:45 AM] Tara Voelker: (sorry, got pulled away due to work)
[11:15:49 AM] Sandra: By the way: I play 8 point and click games for my bachelor
Result is that I found lots of potential for usability, too
[11:15:49 AM] Tara Voelker: It might good to site a US court case the ruled games are art just like movies, and music and books
[11:16:07 AM] Tara Voelker: and that in US games are considered art and avialable for grants
[11:16:20 AM] Tara Voelker: I know the US isn't germany, but still could be useful
[11:16:59 AM] Tara Voelker: Any other news? We're at the end of our hour so it's about time to wrap this up.
[11:17:16 AM] Sandra: Our "cultur People" already accept games at culture, but the politicians not Sad
[11:19:18 AM] Tara Voelker: that still might be a good to site the court case in the us
[11:19:22 AM] Tara Voelker: that was very political
[11:20:09 AM] Sandra: Well the games industry is not interested ... that is the point
[11:20:29 AM] Sandra: also it is about accessibility, it would be nice to have higher chances for funds, when they add subtitltes
[11:20:41 AM] Tara Voelker: yes.
[11:21:12 AM] Sandra: In this case you do not have to go to ccourt, you have to write a "shadow letter" to the UN.
[11:21:39 AM] Tara Voelker: hm. I don't know much about the UN or it's practices, so that's a lot to learn about.
[11:21:47 AM] Tara Voelker: alright guys, we are over our hour, and I now have to go.
[11:22:03 AM] Tara Voelker: It's been a great meeting, lots of good feed back.
[11:22:25 AM] Tara Voelker: There will be a second meeting a 7PM Eastern Time, more than welcome to come to that one as well.
[11:22:30 AM] Tara Voelker: Bye everyone!
[11:22:55 AM] Sandra: Bye
[11:25:27 AM] Chad M Hoover: bye

Tara Voelker
Admin

Posts : 30
Join date : 2011-01-19

View user profile http://gameaccesssig.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum